Meeting convened on the tenth day of January, 2013 CE, Southend Central Library (because the pub, to everyone’s horror and consternation, was closed).
This follows a conversation with Tom from http://www.theadventurists.com who assured us that Everything is Possible.
Purpose of meeting: To create an Adventure, of Heffalumpian proportions.
Ingredients expedient to the expedition:
- Mountains and general ‘roof of world’ scenery
- Steeped in culture
- Respectful to local people, wildlife and the environment
- Engaging directly with people we meet on the way
Nature of the venture:
- Something challenging – sufficiently arduous to be unappealing to the lazy and soberly sane
- But, preferably, not actually life-threatening or involving the use of special bags for ablution arrangements
- Something that offers a reasonable likelihood of returning to Blighty with all extremities attached, in their correct location, and still mostly functioning
- ‘Make it up as you go’ – arrive with a general idea of where we’re going, then let things happen
- To follow Mallory’s vision in locating the elusive Abdominal Snowman (fitter cousin to the more angry Abominable.)
Funding: Possibly sponsorship/selling non-vital organs (do we really need both eyes..? And what’s a spleen do, anyway?)
- Buy some inspiring books – such as “Tibet Overland” – for info such as stops along the way where it might be possible to have a Proper Wash
- Get advice, from people that have knowledge about Tibet, re sensitivities
- All to consider the added value of going. What will our legacy be – to people and/or the environment? Eg volunteering, awareness raising etc
The meeting was adjourned. All agreed on the Spiffingness of the possibility.